The City We Need Youth discussion was held on World Habitat Day, Oct 5th, 2015 as a constituent group session of UTC India. It was an open discussion in collaboration with student volunteers from School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi, Ambedkar University and Jawaharlal Nehru University. The discussion was supported by Youth Leaders from UN MGCY.
The session was planned with the intention to inform and encourage the youth to think about the kind of cities they want for our future and provide them with a platform to share their concerns and voice their opinions in the larger dialogue towards the Inclusiveness in Indian cities we need.
Issued Raised by the Youth:
– Lack of participation by youth and women in city governance
– Lack of Social Responsibility
– Inadequate Educational Infrastructure, Green Areas, Public Spaces, Health Facilities, Sport Facilities
– Traffic and Transportation Problems
– Poor Waste Disposal
– Improper Water & Sewage Treatment
– Increasing Pollution
– Women Safety Issues
– Unplanned Development
– Over Population
Recommendations and Suggestions:
– Informed People and Community Participation in the planning process
– Improved Public Transport
– Promoting the use of Renewable Energy
– Equitable distribution and Restoration of urban green spaces.
– Car – Free spaces
– Enforcement of laws
– Conditioning of Behaviours